If you're interested in living beyond your years, Gallagher Chiropractic and Wellness recommends a longevity diet. For more detailed information about the everyday longevity diet, see Chapter 4, The Longevity Diet The Longevity Diet (New York: Avery/Penguin Books, 2018). The diet is primarily a Pescetariand diet. Those older than 65 or people who struggle maintaining weight and muscle, can also add sheep and goat products to the diet.
- Eat mostly vegan, plus a little fish, limiting meals with fish to a maximum of two or three per week. Choose fish, crustaceans, and mollusks with a high omega-3, omega-6, and vitamin B12 content (salmon, anchovies, sardines, cod, sea bream, trout, clams, shrimp. (For more detailed information, see The Longevity Diet, appendix B.) Pay attention to the quality of the fish, choosing those with low levels of mercury.
- If you are below the age of 65, keep protein intake low (0.31 to 0.36 grams per pound of body weight). That comes to 40 to 47 grams of proteins per day for a person weighing 130 pounds, and 60 to 70 grams of protein per day for someone weighing 200 to 220 pounds. Over age 65, you should slightly increase protein intake but also increase consumption of fish, eggs, white meat, and products derived from goats and sheep to preserve muscle mass. Consume beans, chickpeas, green peas, and other legumes as your main source of protein.
- Minimize saturated fats from animal and vegetable sources (meat, cheese) and sugar, and maximize good fats and complex carbs. Eat whole grains and high quantities of vegetables (tomatoes, broccoli, carrots, legumes, etc.) with generous amounts of olive oil (3 tablespoons per day) and nuts (1 ounce per day). See the biweekly diet program in The Longevity Diet, appendix A.
- Follow a diet with high vitamin and mineral content, supplemented with a multivitamin buffer every three days.
- Select ingredients among those discussed in this book that your ancestors would have eaten.
- Based on your weight, age, and abdominal circumference, decide whether to have two or three meals per day (see Chapter 8, The Longevity Diet,for diabetes guidelines). If you are overweight or tend to gain weight easily, consume two meals a day: breakfast and either lunch or dinner, plus two low-sugar (less than 5 grams) snacks with fewer than 100 calories each. If you are already at a normal weight, or if you tend to lose weight easily or are over 65 and of normal weight, eat three meals a day and one low-sugar (less than 3 to 5 grams) snack with fewer than 100 calories.
- Confine all eating to within a twelve-hour period; for example, start after 8 a.m. and end before 8 p.m. Don’t eat anything within three to four hours of bedtime
Fasting Mimicking Diet
A Fasting Mimicking Diet™, or FMD, is made from healthy, natural ingredients that you will eat for five days. Your body, however, does not recognize that it is being fed. This causes the body to enter a fasting mode. FMD should only be followed under the guidance of a health care professional.
Scientifically developed and clinically tested, this nutritional breakthrough was invented at the University of Southern California. Led by Dr. Valter Longo, the USC Longevity Institute brings together multidisciplinary aging research in order to enhance human healthspan.
Fasting Mimicking Diets® promote and maintain healthy levels of:
- C-reactive protein, a marker of inflammation
- Insulin-like growth factor 1, is a pro-aging factor which increases as a response to protein rich diet, and has shown in humans to increase cancer risk
- Stem cells and regenerative markers
- Fasting glucose
People who have followed a FMD as developed by L-Nutra have also reported the following:
- Weight Loss
- Decreased Abdominal Fat
- Preservation of Lean Body Mass
- Improved Energy Levels
- Softer, Healthier Skin
Combining a Longevity Diet with Prolonged Fasting as available with a FMD, is Gallagher Chiropractic and Wellness's recommended diet for healthy aging.
We provide specific recommendations on nutritional supplements and healthy food choices to enhance our patient´s return to optimal health. Do you know which supplements and vitamins are good for you? Dr. Richard A Gallagher can provide nutritional suggestions based on your individual needs.
Weight Loss Programs
As a doctor of chiropractic, I obviously see many patients suffering with back pain. It is my philosophy not only to try to relieve the patient but to rehabilitate them so that they become stronger then before thus preventing future exacerbations of their condition. There can be many factors that lead to the problem (posture, trauma/accidents, work ergonomics, etc.) but many times a see someone that is overweight and not in good physical shape. This may not be the entire cause of the problem but it is usually a contributing factor. Suggesting good nutritional supplements and weight loss measures fit right in with what I do. It is my responsibility as a doctor to give the patient all the tools they need not only to get better but get to their optimum level of health.
This is why a Chiropractor is interested in providing weight loss advice and programs his patients. As a chiropractic, I address the structural level whereas a proper diet addresses the chemical level. Together we make great advances in the patients overall health. ISAGENIX, along with chiropractic, proper nutrition, exercise and healthy living helps me, my family and my patients enjoy life to the fullest.
Click on the Isagenix link to get more about our 30 Day Weight Loss Program.
Dr. Gallagher and his staff have been helping people get healthier for over 20 years. At Gallagher Chiropractic and Wellness, we have a unique philosophy and approach, customizing each treatment to the specific needs of the individual patient. Call us at (704) 542-6500 or contact us today to set an appointment to begin your journey to greater health…naturally.
Gallagher Chiropractic and Wellness is located at 7810 Ballantyne Commons Pkwy #101, Charlotte, NC 28277.
Who we Help
- Auto Accident Injuries
- Back Pain
- Neck Pain
- Arthritis and Bursitis Treatments
- Carpal Tunnel
- Degenerative and Bulging Discs
- Extremity Pain
- Fibromyalgia Treatments
- Headache and Migraine Solutions
- Healthy Aging and Longevity
- Hip and Leg Pain
- Injuries from Sports
- Pediatric Care
- Plantar Fasciitis
- Pregnancy Aches and Pains
- Shoulder Pain
- Solutions for Stress and Fatigue
- Weight Loss Treatments